Intensive DEEP Training Course
I invite you to learn the essentials of DEEP in the context of a lively and supportive community!
Each year, I offer an intensive private training course that translates the DEEP theory of attachment-based experiential therapy into practice. This balanced and comprehensive course will teach you concrete skills in “how to be” and “what to do” in the practice of this 21st-century, emotionally engaged therapy.
When you complete the course, you will receive:
- a certificate of completion,
- a personalized listing on this website (click here to see the current DEEP therapist listings), and
- inclusion in the DEEP Networking Community where you’ll be invited to participate in DEEP-therapist-only continuing education, support, consultation, and networking opportunities.
Scroll down or click here to see the current year’s course schedule.
Click below for a printable flier that describes the 2019-2020 course details:
Interested in registering or getting on the waiting list for future trainings? Contact me.
Dynamic Enriched Experiential Psychotherapy (DEEP) is a therapy model that sits on a foundation of depth psychology, builds on a structure of AEDP, and is enriched by including the latest updates in interpersonal neurobiology; applications of attachment theory, enactment theory, and the polyvagal theory; and existential, humanistic, and body-based approaches to emotion. This intensive private training course translates all this theory of attachment-based experiential therapy into practice in a way that will help you to enjoy your work as a therapist!
DEEP is not a set of techniques or tools. Instead it is a foundational way of being present as a therapist that undergirds any techniques and tools you learn in other trainings. The course teaches concrete skills that help you to know “how to be” and “what to do” in the practice of this 21st-century, emotionally engaged therapy.
The course provides lively, engaging immersion in a comprehensive curriculum that includes:
- In-depth foundational theory of cutting-edge experiential therapy based in attachment theory (a rich clinical and theoretical infrastructure that builds on AEDP)
- Translation of AEDP, attachment, and interpersonal neurobiology jargon into English
- Concrete clinical applications of all theoretical concepts
- How to embed your current skills—EMDR, SE, Sensorimotor, CBT, IFS or other parts work, etc.—into a depth-oriented attachment foundation
- Existential ideas about the nature of suffering and our role as helpers that provides strong support for the therapist when the going is hard
- Depth psychological exploration of helping clients to discover and rely on true-self experiences
- Schore’s regulation and enactment theory for working with defenses/protections
- Porges’ polyvagal theory for recognizing and working with visceral states
- Practical application and integration of Interpersonal Neurobiology
- Extensive emotion theory explication that helps therapists accurately hone in on patients’ emotional experiences
- Integration of body-based theories, including Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Somatic Experiencing, and Developmental Somatic Psychotherapy, into attachment work
- Harnessing Memory Reconsolidation principles to facilitate deep and lasting changes
Teaching takes place in a small group environment that is explicitly supportive and encouraging, in order to facilitate:
- Intensive therapist self-building, so that skills emerge from a solid inner foundation
- Support and encouragement for both new and experienced therapists to risk new skills
- Enlivening and enlightening case consultation and support
- A community of therapists who support and refer to each other
- Integration of the work into your own unique style
- Experiential modeling of the DEEP therapeutic modality (that is, learning DEEP in a DEEP environment)
Multiple learning dimensions make the material come alive:
- Participatory didactic instruction
- Illustrative instructor videos of actual therapy sessions, and live demonstrations
- Experiential exercises, collegial-level group process, and case consultation
Well-organized focus will help you to emerge with both a cognitive understanding and an intuitive sense of how to apply cutting-edge theory to your work:
- Section 1 – Developing Experiential Therapist Qualities: Creating Safety for Client and Therapist
- Section 2 – Foundational Skills: Clinical Application of DEEP Core Ideas
- Section 3 – Working With Protectors and Enactments: When It’s Hard to Connect
- Section 4 – Working with Emotion: How to Facilitate/How to Regulate
- Section 5 (weekly) or Between-Term-Study (weekend) – Interpersonal Awareness and Integration: Bringing the Therapeutic Relationship Into the Foreground
Questions? Interested in registering? Contact me.
2019-2020 DEEP SKILLS AND THEORY INTENSIVE TRAINING COURSE SCHEDULE:
10-month Weekly Group on Wednesdays
Begins September 2019
- 2 hours per week; Wednesdays 12:15-2:15pm; September 4, 2019 – June 24, 2020
- Commitment to entire year required; 79 CEUs at no additional cost.
- Group size limited to 11
- $2450 total; $245 nonrefundable deposit upon registration, counts as September tuition
- 2 Payment Options: $245 per month for 10 months, payable at first meeting of each month; OR 5% discount if year’s tuition is paid in lump sum ($2328) on or before 5/15/19
Deep practice is built on a paradox: struggling in certain targeted ways—operating at the edges of your ability, where you make mistakes—makes you smarter. Or to put it in a slightly different way, experiences where you’re forced to slow down, make errors, and correct them—as you would if you were walking up an ice-covered hill, slipping and stumbling as you go—end up making you swift and graceful without your realizing it. — Daniel Coyle